Introducing Vivian, our Wednesday guest blogger — a shining model of what you can do on a plant-based diet, if you just eat the right foods – that’s it.
Eat right and you can do it, too. Here’s Viv!
My name is Viv. I began a plant-strong life 11 weeks ago. I have lost 22lbs and feel fantastic, to put it simply I feel good in my own skin. I consider plant-strong the best investment I have made for myself. Not only do I feel wonderful, I am being my own ally, defending my health and my family’s. Not everyone in my home is on board, but the seed is planted and I believe it is only a matter of time. Each week, here on Spinach & Apples, I am going to spotlight an individual that I am helping to make this transition and share their profile through a “What’s on the Menu?” article. I will also be posting recipes to help your transition whether that be in thought or action.
Because this is our first meeting I am going to spotlight myself . . . I chose yesterday as my MENU day. For the most part these foods I am sharing are my staple foods, so let’s begin . . .
Almost 30 stay at home mom, blogger, creator, have recently reached a goal of losing 100 lbs (107 lbs), to be exact. Weight used to be an issue but (thanks to a plant-based diet) is now easy. I am 11 weeks strictly plant strong, but I have been improving my diet little by little over the last decade. I focus on a low-fat vegan diet without calorie counting.
Hardest challenge with plant-strong:
At the beginning it was cheese, I missed a good sharp cheese. Also, it is the antagonistic comments sometimes from those who do not understand what you are trying to do. I also hate the comment, “Life’s too short, I want to enjoy myself.” . . . when trying to justify their eating habits. There is so much wrong with that sentence. I have never enjoyed myself more than I do right at this moment . . . so in other words, don’t knock it ’til you’ve tried it!
Greatest benefit of plant-strong:
I have lost 22 pounds but I have gained a whole new sense of awareness. For the first time in my life I do not care what the scale says: honestly, I care how I feel and that I am taking the best care of my body that I can. In addition to that my skin is awesome, my energy level is rockin, and I feel so strong.
What’s on your Menu?
(check back on Friday for recipes — Actually, online now, see our Recipes page)
20 oz. Green Smoothie
1 serv. Oatmeal
3 Green Chili + Black Bean Tacos + veggies
Surprise . . . my hubby brought me a GARDEN EXPLOSION sandwich from my favorite restaurant (Cafe Fresh) on his way home from work!
Wheat bread with all kinds of veggies, diced, sliced, and shredded…love that texture, add Vegenaise and it’s perfect.
Snack and Sweet Fix:
Instant Cookie Dough adapted from the Happy Herbivores lovely recipe.
I am stuffed! I wanted to share one of my fave recipes with you, the Cookie Dough, but I usually do not eat this much so I am full of nutritious and delicious yumminess.
Best tips for others fighting the good fight:
- Give it 2 weeks, you will feel it in two weeks and trust me, it only gets easier from there.
- Fail to plan, and plan to fail. If you don’t make this easy on yourself by planning out your meals you will most definitely fail.
- Prep your food so that items are on hand and easy. I will talk more on this later.
- Get a good knife, a food processor, and if you can afford it a good blender and juicer.
- Buy the Happy Herbivore and familiarize yourself with helpful resources online.
- Find your motivation and focus on it, read The China Study and watch Forks Over Knives if you still haven’t seen it.
- Keep single serving fruits and veggies right on hand and in sight.
- Don’t stand in your own way, have an open mind, and just go for it-what have you got to lose?
- Just begin if it’s only baby steps right now — it is still moving you in the right direction!
I am so happy to be sharing here with you today and feel free to ask questions . . . I am totally converted and when that happens the next thing you want to do is share what you know. So, let me help – that’s why I am here.